June 6, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa – Caroline King progressed her own school record in the half mile to 2:03.03 and qualified for the NCAA Championship run on Wednesday evening at Drake Stadium. The Scotia, N.Y. native advanced on time and will compete in the national title run on Friday at 7:20 p.m.
The BC captain got out strong and took second at the break. Riding Nachelle Mackie’s shoulder, King went into the bell lap at 59-and-change as the rest of the field gave chase. Mackie picked up the tempo on the final backstretch, but the Eagles closed ground and heading into the final bend. King looked to earn the auto-bid with a win in the heat, but Mackie stayed strong to the line and Oregon’s Anne Kesselring snuck up on the inside to bump the Maroon and Gold to third in the heat.
King’s heat produced five of the top seven times in the semifinal round and advanced four athletes to Friday’s final: Mackie (2:02.58), Kesselring (2:02.66), King (2:03.03) and Cincinnati’s Kathy Klump (2:03.55). Stanford’s Justine Fedronic ran a 2:03.54, the seventh fastest mark, but only the top two finishers from each heat, plus the next two best times move on. (complete results)
King broke the 800-meter school the record when she captured the ECAC Championship in 2:03.21 on May 13. The recent grad is a two-time All-American, having earned honors in cross country and indoor track during the 2010-11 seasons. Kasey Hill earned BC’s last outdoor All-America honor in the heptathlon in 2008.
Friday’s final can be seen live on espn3.com or viewed through the host institution’s athletic web site godrakebulldogs.com.
Second Heat 800m Results
1. Nachelle Mackie (Jr., BYU) - 2:02.58
2. Anne Kesselring (Jr., Oregon) - 2:02.66
3. Caroline King
(Sr., Boston College) - 2:03.03
4. Kathy Klump (Sr., Cincinnati) - 2:03.55
5. Justine Fedronic (Jr., Stanford) - 2:03.54
6. Renisha Robinson (Sr., Sacramento St.) - 2:05.15
7. Chelsea Cox (So., Georgetown) - 2:06.16
8. Claudia Francis (Fr., Oregon) - 2:12.74
800m Final Field
1. Chanelle Price (Sr., Tennessee) – 2:01.66
2. Laura Roesler (So., Oregon) – 2:02.09
3. Nachelle Mackie (Jr., BYU) – 2:02.58
4. Anne Kesselring (Jr., Oregon) – 2:02.66
5. Caroline King (Sr., Boston College) – 2:03.03
6. Kathy Klump (Sr., Cincinnati) – 2:03.35
7. Charlene Lipsey (Jr., LSU) – 2:03.76
8. Megan Malasarte (So., Georgia) – 2:04.18