The Boston College Women's Tennis Team opened the season on the road against Brown with a 4-3 win on Friday evening. The Eagles got off to a slow start dropping the doubles point but rebounded nicely to take four of the six singles matches.
Freshman Lexi Borr was the first singles match to be completed at the #2 position and even the team score with a 6-3, 6-3 win. The Eagles took a 2-1 lead when sophomore Jenny Ren won in straight sets 7-5, 6-3 in the #3 position. Katya Vasilyevextended BC's lead at #4 with a tough 6-2, 7-5 victory. Jessica Wacnik dropped a close match at the #1 singles spot 7-6, 7-6. Freshman Emily Safron secured the win for the Eagles with a convincing 6-3, 6-0 win at the #6 position.
"It was nice to get that first win of the year and it's always challenging to win on the road," said Coach Bentley. "Brown is a tough team and extremely well coached. We did a good job of overcoming a slow start in doubles and played well in singles. It was really big for us to have our two freshman, Lexi and Emily step up and play with such poise and confidence. Also Katya and Jenny both were strong in closing out their matches. I thought Jess played a great match, the final score was too bad but I loved the way she played."
The Eagles take on Dartmouth, today, January 25, at 3 p.m. in Dedham, Mass.
1. Lord/Cambri (Brown) def. Wacnik/Borr (BC) 6-4
2. Ren/Salomen (BC) lead Uberoi/Kandath (Brown) 5-3
3. Mandalap/Noyes (Brown) def. Vasilyev/Sweeting(BC) 6-2
order of finish 3,1
1. Lord (Brown) def. Wacnik (BC) 7-6, 7-6
2. Borr (BC) def. Camhi (Brown) 6-3, 6-3
3. Ren (BC) def. Uberoi (Brown) 7-5, 6-3
4. Vasilyev (BC) def. Kandath (Brown) 6-2, 7-5
5. Mandalap (Brown) def. Salomen (BC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Safron (BC) def. Traynor (Brown) 6-3, 6-0
order of finish 2, 3, 4, 1, 6, 5