No. 51 Women's Tennis Shuts Out No. 70 NC State, 7-0
April 7, 2014
DEDHAM, Mass.- The No. 51 Boston College women's tennis team defeated No. 70 North Carolina State 7-0 at the Dedham Health and Fitness Club on Sunday evening. With the win the Eagles improve to 12-7 on the season and 4-7 in ACC play. Sunday's victory completed a weekend sweep having defeated No. 59 Wake Forest 5-2 on Friday night.
The Eagles were in top form from the start taking all three doubles matches. On court one, Jessica Wacnik and Lexi Borr were very sharp winning 8-2. BC's No. 2 team of Jenny Ren and Heini Salonen earned a nice come from behind win, 8-6, and Katya Vasilyev and Wan Yi Sweeting were strong at the No. 3 spot winning, 8-4.
BC took control early in singles play. Lexi Borr continued her impressive play with another dominating performance at No. 3 and gave BC a 2-0 advantage. Fellow freshman Emily Safron was quick to follow with win on court five and Jessica Wacnik clinched the victory for the Eagles on court one. Heini Salonen, Katya Vasilyev and Wan Yi Sweeting each followed with wins of their own to give the Eagles the sweep.
"It was a great weekend for us. We beat two solid ACC teams,” said assistant coach Burke. “We played smart, we played together, we played hard and we had a lot of fun. It is a really good sign for us to be getting strong play in all three doubles positions. In singles we have a lot of big hitters in our lineup that can create offensive opportunities for us but we also play good defense. We run down a lot of balls and that puts pressure on our opponents.”
The Eagles return to action on Friday, April 11 at Duke. The match is set to begin at 3 p.m.
1. Wacnik/Borr(BC) def. Kissell/Nelson(NCST) 8-2
2. Ren/Salonen(BC) def. Fieldsend/James-Baker(NCST) 8-6
3. Sweeting/Vasilyev(BC) def. Hande/Janowicz(NCST) 8-4
1. Wacnik(BC) def. Kissell(NCST) 6-2, 6-2
2. Vasilyev(BC) def. James-Baker(NCST) 6-4, 6-7(5), 1-0(6)
3. Borr(BC) def. Fieldsend(NCST) 6-4, 6-1
4. Salonen(BC) def. Hande(NCST) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0(7)
5. Safron(BC) def. Nelson(NCST) 6-2, 6-2
6. Sweeting(BC) def. Janowicz(NCST) 8-2