Feb. 16, 2012
CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. -
The Boston College lacrosse squad will open the 2012 season at Holy Cross on Friday, Feb. 17. The game will be held at Holy Cross Field and is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.
Boston College Notes
• The Eagles enter 2012 after making history last year. The squad finished the season with a 12-7 overall record, made its first appearance in an ACC Tournament semifinal game and earned its first NCAA Tournament bid in program history.
• After clinching a program-best No. 9 national ranking in April 2011, the Eagles begin 2012 at No. 13 in the IWLCA Preseason Poll. BC also received preseason rankings in the Lacrosse Magazine and deBeer Women’s Media polls, tabbed at No. 8 and 10, respectively.
• BC returns eight starters and 19 letterwinners from last season.
• With two of the nation’s top three recruits, in addition to three other standout freshmen, the Eagles boast the No. 6 recruiting class in the nation.
• Graduate student and captain Kristin Igoe returns for her final season at The Heights after earning BC’s first-ever IWLCA All-American First Team honors. She enters this season ranked sixth on BC’s all-time records list for career goals (119) and points (158).
• Senior captain Brittany Wilton, who made the move from attack to midfield this offseason, will continue to be a threat on draws for BC after turning in a program-best 99 draw controls last year.
• Brooke Blue and Moira Barry look to add to the offensive effort in 2012 after registering 48 and 46 points, respectively in 2011.
• Igoe and freshmen Covie Stanwick and Mikaela Rix saw action with Team USA during the offseason. Igoe competed with the U.S. Women’s Senior National Team, while Stanwick and Rix won a gold medal at the FIL Championship with the U.S. U19 squad.
Scouting Holy Cross
• HC is currently 0-1 so far in 2012, as the team lost its season opener at UMass, 18-8, on Feb. 15.
• Holy Cross returns 12 starters and 18 letterwinners from its 2011 squad that went 6-11 overall and 3-3 in Patriot League play.
• The Crusaders are led by senior captains Catherine Furman and Kat Sutton. Furman is a midfielder/defender who started in 16 games last season on her way to earning First-Team All-Patriot League honors. Sutton led the team with 35 goals and a career-best 44 points in 2011, and enters 2012 ranked sixth all-time at Holy Cross with 79 career draw controls.
• Boston College holds a 15-3 lead in the all-time series against Holy Cross. The Eagles have won four consecutive meetings against the Crusaders, dating back to 2008.
• In the schools’ last meeting, BC earned a 12-7, neutral-site victory against HC on March 5, 2011.