October 13, 1998
Graham Wins Murray Keating Invitational, Leads Team
to Second Place Finish
Shafer Leads Men to Fifth Place Finish
Senior Angie Graham (Pickering, Ontario) won the Murray Keating Invitational, leading the Boston College womens cross-country team to a second-place finish. Senior Brian Shafer (Litchfield, CT) finished in fifth place in the mens race, leading the mens team to a fifth place finish.
Grahams first-place finish started an impressive showing by the Eagles. Three Boston College runners placed in the top 10 and six in the top 20. Freshman Sharon VanTuyl (Portage, Mich.) followed Graham in sixth place and fellow freshman Katie Ryan (Elmira, NY) followed in 10th place. Freshman Nicole Portley (San Mateo, Calif.), Shannon Smith (Fairport, NY), and Celeste Sedo (Ridgewood, NJ) also finished in the top 20.
Shafers fifth-place finish was followed by junior Marshal Armitage (Burlington, Ontario) who finished in 12th place. Sophomore Justin Burton (Niagara Falls, Ontario) placed 25th.
Both the men and womens cross-country teams are currently preparing to run in the New England Championships being held October 16 at Franklin Park in Boston.
At Orono, Maine
Womens Team Scores Mens Team Scores
1. UCLA 35 points 1. Michigan 27 points
2. Boston College 46 points 2. Iowa 64 points
3. Connecticut 112 points 3. UNH 76 points
4. UVM 117 points 4. UCLA 91 points
5. UNH 125 points 5. Boston College 112 points
Boston College Womens Top Five Boston College Mens Top Five
1. Angie Graham 17:23 1. Brian Shafer 24:42
6. Sharon VanTuyl 17:51 12. Marshal Armitage 24:57
10. Katie Ryan 18:10 25. Justin Burdon 25:25
13. Nicole Portley 18:22 37. Derek Smith 25:53
16. Shannon Smith 18:26 40. Mark Fonnemann 26:02