April 3, 2011
Weymouth, Mass. - The Boston College men's tennis team split a pair of matches against No. 48 Clemson and Brandeis, falling to the Tigers, 5-2, and defeating the Judges, 7-0, on Sunday.
The Eagles (5-13, 0-7 ACC) claimed victories on singles courts four and five, as well as No. 1 doubles, against Tigers (15-7, 2-5 ACC).
In doubles action, junior Akash Muppidi and sophomore Billy Grokenberger took out Yannick Maden and Zachary Rigsby, 8-4. After a win for Clemson on the second court, a loss from seniors Adam Davison and Erik Kreutzer fell in a tiebreaker, 9-8(7-3), to Juan Bolona and Meza Gerardo put the Eagles behind early, 1-0.
At No. 5 singles, junior Jonathan Schroeder defeated Wesley Moran. The Winnetka, Ill. native downed Moran, 6-3, in the first set, before falling in a tiebreaker, 6-7(7-3), in the second. Schroeder assumed control of his match and sealed the point for BC with a win, 6-3.
Freshman Jonathan Raude delivered a win at No. 4 singles. The Rego Park, N.Y. product fell, 4-6, in the first, but rebounded with dominant wins, 6-2 and 6-3, in the second and third sets for the victory.
Clemson took the remaining singles matches to earn the conference win.
The Eagles blanked the Judges (8-5) in the second match of the day.
Final Score: #48 Clemson def. Boston College, 5-2
Final Scored: Boston College def. Brandeis, 7-0
1. Derek DiFazio (CU) def. Akash Muppidi (BC), 6-4, 6-1
2. Yannick Maden (CU) def. Alex Skinner (BC), 7-5, 6-4
3. Kevin Galloway (CU) def. Erik Kreutzer (BC), 7-5, 3-6, 6-4
4. Jonathan Raude (BC) def. Meza Gerardo (CU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Jonathan Schroeder (BC) def. Wesley Moran (CU), 6-3, 6-7 (7-5), 6-3
6. Robert Pietrucha (CU) def. Billy Grokenberger (BC), 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
1. Akash Muppidi / Billy Grokenberger (BC) def. Yannick Maden / Zachary Rigsby (CU), 8-4
2. Derek DiFazio / Robert Pietrucha (CU) def. Alex Skinner / Jonathan Schroeder (BC), 8-3
3. Juan Bolona / Meza Gerardo (CU) def. Adam Davison / Erik Kreutzer (BC), 9-8 (7-3)
1. Akash Muppidi
(BC) def. Simon Miller (BU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Michael McGinnis
(BC) def. Nick White (BU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Brendon Wong
(BC) def. David Yovanoff (BU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Brian Locklear
(BC) def. Ezra Bernstein (BU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Klaus Puestow
(BC) def. Josh Jordan (BU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Rob Ankner
(BC) def. Steve Nieman (BU), 6-3, 6-4
1. Akash Muppidi
/ Billy Grokenberger
(BC) def. Simon Miller / Nick White, 8-7
2. Alex Skinnner / Michael McGinnis
(BC) def. David Yovanoff / Steven Nieman, 8-2
3. Erike Kreutzer / Rob Ankner
(BC) def. Josh Jordan / Ezra Bernstein, 8-2