March 5, 2010
The Boston College men's tennis team posted one of its most impressive wins this season on Thursday afternoon by defeating No. 48 ranked UNC Wilmington 4-3, at UNCW Tennis Complex in Wilmington, N.C.
The win puts Boston College at the .500 mark for the first time all season at 6-6, while the loss drops UNC Wilmington to 7-2.
BC lost the doubles point with its lone doubles win coming from Thomas Nolan and Erik Kreutzer, who are now ranked 47th nationally and first in the northeast, at the number one spot beating Michael Pereira and Ryan Ybarra by the score of 8-1.
In singles action, the Eagles took four of the six matches which included two three-set wins.
The first one was by Nolan at the number one position defeating Pereira 6-7 (5), 7-5, 6-0.
The other marathon three-set win for the Eagles came at the number five singles position as Jonathan Schroeder took down Alex Wetherell 6-1, 5-7, 7-5.
Sophomore Akash Muppidi, who is ranked 119th nationally and 12th in the Northeast, picked up a singles win of his own by defeating Sharma 6-4, 6-3 at the number two singles position.
Boston College is now ranked ninth in the current ITA Northeast Region Rankings.
The Eagles try to wrap up their spring break trip with an undefeated record as they will take on the College of Charleston in Charleston, S.C. The match starts at 1:30 p.m.
Boston College - 4, UNC Wilmington - 3
1. Thomas Nolan (BC) def. Michael Pereira (UNCW) 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 6-0
2. #119 Akash Muppidi (BC) def. Kinshuk Sharma (UNCW) 6-4, 6-3
3. Illia Ziamtsou (UNCW) def. Erik Kreutzer (BC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Kosta Blank (UNCW) def. Alex Skinner (BC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jonathan Schroeder (BC) def. Alex Wetherell (UNCW) 6-1, 5-7, 7-5
6. Brian Locklear (BC) def. Max Ando Hirsch (UNCW) 6-2, 6-1
1. #47 Thomas Nolan/Erik Kreutzer (BC) def. Michael Pereira/Ryan Ybarra (UNCW) 8-1
2. Kinshuk Sharma/Max Ando Hirsch (UNCW) def. Billy Grokenberger/Brian Garber (BC) 8-3
3. Kosta Blank/Illia Ziamtsou (UNCW) def. Adam Davison/Akash Muppidi (BC) 8-3