Jan. 31, 2011
New Haven, Conn. -
For the second time in three seasons, the Boston College men's tennis team upset the No. 73 Yale Bulldogs, 4-3, on Saturday, Jan. 28 at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center in New Haven, Conn.
"It was a great win," Head Coach Scott Wilkins stated. "Yale's lineup is very deep, so some guys had to step up for us to get this win. I was proud to see that happen and was happy with the great effort put in from all of our guys."
Already down on set on No. 5 singles, junior Jonathan Schroeder fought off two match points in the second, before coming back to force a third and deciding frame. Once there, the Winnetka, Ill. native easily handled Yale's Joel Samaha to clinch the match, 4-6, 7-5, 6-2, and seal Boston College's first win of the season.
Following the win, 8-4, by seniors Adam Davison and Erik Kreutzer at No. 3 doubles, Schroeder and classmate Alex Skinner had helped the Eagles (1-1) take the doubles point with another dramatic win, 9-8, on court No. 1.
With Boston College up, 1-0, heading into singles action Yale (0-1) withdrew from the No. 1 spot, giving the Eagles a two-point advantage.
Following defeats on the second and third courts, freshman Jonathan Raude put BC in position to get its first "W" of the year with a comeback win over Erik Blumenkranz, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
"His matches have set a tone for our team," Wilkins said of the rookie. "He's been in trouble early in both games, but has made smart adjustments, showed a lot of determination and fought hard to come back for both of his wins."
The Eagles will return to action at Dartmouth on Saturday, Feb. 5 at 3 p.m.
Final Score: Boston College 4, Yale 3
1. Jonathan Schroeder/ Alex Skinner (BC) def. Marc Powers/Daniel Hoffman (Yale), 9-8
2. Jonathan Huang/Joel Samaha (Yale) def. Billy Grokenberger/Akash Muppidi (BC), 9-7
3. Erik Kreutzer/Adam Davison (BC) def. Erik Blumenkranz/Patrick Chase (Yale), 8-4
1. Akash Muppidi (BC) def. Marc Powers (Yale), DNF
2. Jonathan Huang (Yale) def. Alex Skinner (BC), 6-2, 6-2
3. Daniel Hoffman (Yale) def. Erik Kreutzer (BC), 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Jonathan Raude (BC) def. Erik Blumenkranz (Yale), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Jonathan Schroeder (BC) def. Joel Samaha (Yale), 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
6. Jordan Abergel (Yale) def. Klaus Puestow (BC), 6-3, 5-7, 6-1
Order of Finish:
Doubles - 3, 1, 2* ; Singles - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5*, 6
* Indicates clinching doubles point and dual match victory