With a capacity of 44,500 maroon-and-gold-clad fans, Alumni Stadium is the home of the Eagles.
The current version of Alumni Stadium opened in the fall of 1995.
The roots of Alumni Stadium and on-campus football at Boston College date back to 1915, when the original Alumni Stadium was dedicated. The facility was located on middle campus on the site of today's campus green.
As Boston College enjoyed more and more football success in the 1930s and 1940s, the Eagles moved a majority of their home games to Boston's two major league baseball stadiums, Fenway Park and Braves Field (now Nickerson Field on the Boston University campus).
On January 23, 1957, Boston College president Joseph R.N. Maxwell, S.J., announced that a new Alumni Stadium would be built on the BC campus as football no longer would be allowed in Fenway Park. A $250,000 campaign followed and on September 26, 1957, the Eagles played host to Navy in the first game on the site of the present Alumni Stadium before a sellout crowd of 26,000-plus. The new stadium was constructed in an amazing span of 156 days. The game was arranged by then-United States Senator John F. Kennedy, but Navy spoiled the home opener with a 46-6 win.
In 1971, Alumni Stadium was expanded to 32,000 seats and artificial turf and lights were installed. Alumni Stadium was rebuilt again in 1988 as matching upper decks and a new press box were added. These renovations were part of the building of Conte Forum.
New scoreboards and instant replay screens, a new and improved lighting system, a state-of-the-art public address system, new concessions and rest room facilities and a beautiful brick and glass exterior façade combine to make Alumni Stadium one of the finest football facilities in the nation. BC installed a state-of-the-art Field Turf surface in the summer of 2004.
The scenic Chestnut Hill stadium, with the Boston skyline offering a splendid background in the distance, heightens the excitement and enthusiasm that is part of every Boston College home game.