- Tom O'Brien was captain of the 1949-50 squad and is the uncle of fellow BC great Jim O'Brien '71.
- The elder O'Brien was a top player of the Al McClellan era, an inspiring leader, an aggressive defender and rebounder, and a favorite of his coaches. O'Brien was a team player who made everyone on his team better.
- A three-time All-New England selection, he led the team in assists for three years and twice ranked second in scoring.
- Served as 1949-50 team captain; missed his final year with a back injury.
- Inducted into the Boston College Varsity Club Athletic Hall of Fame in 1971.