Track and Field
Bob Merrick '24
- One of the gifted athletes of the 1920s under Jack Ryder
that vaulted Boston College into an era of national
- A hurdler of exceptional talent, Merrick earned four track
letters for BC and led BC to numerous track championships
with his record-setting performances.
- Won the Eastern Intercollegiate 120-yard high hurdle
championship to lead BC to its third consecutive ECIAA
- Won the 45-yard high hurdle event, equaling the world record
of 6 seconds.
- Set a dual meet record of 14.8 seconds as he won the 120-
meter high hurdles.
- Led BC to the prestigious New England championships.
- Inducted into the Boston College Varsity Club Athletic Hall
of Fame in 1998.