- A meticulous planner, indefatigable teacher, and energetic innovator, he led the Eagles to national football prominence.
- His 1939 team finished with a 9-2 record and earned the University's first post-season invitation: the 1940 Cotton Bowl.
- The undefeated (11-0) 1940 Eagles were Sugar Bowl champions and laid claim to the National Championship.
- His 15-year record at Boston College and Notre Dame is 107 wins, 13 defeats, and 9 ties, one of the best in the history of college football.
- Coach Leahy is also enshrined in the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame.
- Inducted into the Boston College Varsity Club Athletic Hall of Fame in 1970.