- The captain of the 1957-58 Eagles, BC's first team to make the NCAA Tournament, Harrington was a great rebounder and defender. Although he was just 6-foot, 3-inches tall, he was the tallest player on the 1957-58 squad that finished with a 16-5 record and fell to Maryland in the NCAA Tournament.
- Harrington's best offensive season was his sophomore year, when he led the team in scoring at just under 10 points per game.
- Defensively, he matched up with the opponent's biggest player, making up for his lack of size with great instincts and aggressive play.
- The heart shown by this Eagle on the basketball court later carried over onto the battlefield, where Harrington served as a Navy SEAL after leaving the Heights.
- Inducted into the Boston College Varsity Club Athletic Hall of Fame in 1992.