- A celebrated military hero who overcame serious World War I injuries to engage in a highly-successful coaching career.
- His undefeated 1920 team was scored upon only twice and earned Boston College's first Eastern Football Championship.
- In seven seasons, his Eagle teams were 47-14-5.
- "The Iron Major", whose career is celebrated in a motion picture of that same name, is also enshrined in the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame.
- Inducted into the Boston College Varsity Club Athletic Hall of Fame in 1970.