- His teams were innovative on offense and hard-hitting on defense: accurately reflecting his easy-going and engaging personality, yet unflinching focus and determination to succeed.
- Coach Bicknell's teams played in the 1982 Tangerine Bowl, 1983 Liberty Bowl, 1985 Cotton Bowl and 1986 Hall of Fame Bowl, and won the Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy as Eastern Champion in both 1983 and 1984. In addition to winning the Cotton Bowl Championship, his 1984 squad (10-2) was ranked among the nation's top teams and featured Heisman Trophy winner Doug Flutie.
- An assistant coach on Joe Yukica's BC staff from 1968-75, he helped the Eagles establish a number of offensive records during that period.
- Served as a head coach in NFL Europe for 15 seasons, leading his teams to two World Bowl championships.
- Inducted into the Boston College Varsity Club Athletic Hall of Fame in 2007.